Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Speed!

So I bought my Mid Life Crisis speed machine. While most go for a Corvette or a Porsche or something similar, I went with an all carbon, super aero TT bike from Meridian Cycles. The Felt B16.
This bike is ridiculous. It is all of 20 pounds loaded and ready to go. It is impossibly thin, or as Monty Python would say, it's wafer thin!
Hopefully this is a good view, because there's going to be a lot of people staring at it for miles! ;)

This bike has all sorts of fancy red anodized bits on it. All of which I am certain will make me faster!


It also has a buried rear brake, something will take some getting used to.



I took it out for a test run yesterday afternoon, and it is very quick! Even in a stiff wind 15-20 mph, it was quick and responsive. Now this bike is not meant to be ridden around in traffic, so getting out to the open road to open it up was challenging. The pedals were set with very light tension, so I was popping out when taking off from street lights. That's an easy fix however, a simple turn of the tension set screw and we are good to go. Being light, thin and having a wide flat profile, it will get pushed around a little in a cross wind. This is a bike you have to pay attention to when riding in the aero position. But once you are there, and start applying the watts, that full carbon frame puts all the watts to the wheels. This bike takes off like it was shot from a cannon!

Now that I have the bike, I need to focus on the engine. The Jason Broome Time Trial will be here in just a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment